Sunday, January 25, 2009

Altered Canvas








Rose Collection










One is just one, two is a couple, three is a few ... and four must be a collection. My dear husband (an urban farmer at heart) has well over 60 roses. Not a collection anymore - maybe an obsession? Obsession or not - it gives us (and the whole neighborhood) joy. Early morning is the best time to take in their fragrance - it's the cool damp morning air that brings it out.

This piece is for Linda and Rosie's challenge at ABAA. Rosie's examples are stunning and I took great inspiration from her use of lace and old fashioned label holders.

Here's the process: I spray painted back side of a stretched 6X6 canvas with silver spray paint; adhered vintage lace to wood parts; attached small bouquet of ceramic roses with a large decorative brad; attached label holder; added aluminum tacks and washers for decoration; strung stamped pennant flags on string and wrapped the ends around the tacks. There is a picture hanger on the back for hanging it on the wall, but because of the depth of the canvas, it can also stand up by itself.

14 comments:

Rosie said...

They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I'm so glad my piece inspired your own, and your work is lovely. Thanks for joining in our challenge.
Love
Rosie ABAA

Sandy said...

Wow this is gorgeous.
Fantastic design on your canvas. Love them.

~*~Patty S said...

Fun to see you all grown up Kimmie, such a cute pic!

How lucky you are to be surrounded by roses... I am sure they take your breath away on a daily basis, a lot of work, but the pay is = fantastic! Your canvas and story to go with are really wonderful and inspiring......fun place Blogland bringing roses in January!!!

Janny said...

So beautiful!

Jendy said...

This is beautiful. Great canvas.

*jean* said...

oooo very nice!!! and to have a hubbie that grows roses....how wonderful!!

Linda Vincent said...

Absolutely delightful Kimmie - I love it.
Linda xx

Barb said...

Beautiful !

femminismo said...

Love the contrast of lace and metal brads/bolts (whatever). Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my outside book in the snow. While my husband was working under our house he found a pair of filthy glasses (eyeglasses) and I simply must use them for something. Without cleaning them, of course. They've earned their "patina." best to you - jeanne in Oregon

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, using the canvas that way - why didn't I think of that!! Very beautiful!!!!
And, nice to see the grown up Kimmie!!!

Jan said...

This is just so beautiful - very delicate. I love your use of lace and the pretty roses

Khaled KEM said...

I like the in your work the colors, the simplicity and the creativity.

Diane aka cameldiva said...

Kimmie, my dear... your roses are just darling!Love the vintage feel of them and I am sure your rose garden is the envy of your street. It takes dedication to nurture so many roses. Enjoy your husband's obsession...

Jaqi said...

what a wonderful canvas, its so sweet and lovely, I imagine it hanging on a wall in a country cottage......beautiful, Jaqi