Friday, January 30, 2009

Crows



ABAA's challenge today is "Something to Crow About." Anything that involves crows. Personally, I hate crows. They eat baby songbirds in the spring and I can hear the little bird parents raising quite a ruckus and fighting the good fight against those mean old crows. Where I live, they're as big as chickens. Maybe the only good thing about crows is that they clean up the trash. I often see them gathered around somebody's gross out McDonald's litter thrown out of their car (PET PEEVE) .... and the crows do a pretty good job of cleaning it up. They're good for something I guess.

There are several old counting rhymes about crows. I picked this one:

One for sorrow, Two for mirth
Three is marriage and Four is birth
Five crows for laughter and Six for crying
Seven sickness, Eight dying
Nine for silver, Ten crows for gold
And Eleven a secret never to be told

And because they are such good trash collectors, I've used cereal box cardboard for this piece. The top layer is the cereal box sanded with rough sandpaper and fine sandpaper and then inked well with 3 colors. I wrote the rhyme in sharpie and then cut out my crow with an x-acto knife. The behind layer is also cereal box and is painted with black acrylic paint and scribbled while wet to reveal some of the underneath colors. The 2 layers have been glued together and then coated with beeswax which gives it a really great shine and really makes the colors pop. The finished size is about 8X11 inches. Thank for looking!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah! i love the way you recycle! thanks so much for your kind comments which led me here to your so interesting blog -- i've spent a lovely hour browsing your archives. nice to meet you.

Linda Vincent said...

I really like that Kimmie - you've used some great techniques. We have a very similar rhyme in England, only its about magpies.
I'm going looking for cereal packets now....
Love Linda

ELK said...

very creative K ~I feel the same about them...like the use of the cereal box!

Jaqi said...

What a great card, I love the background colours, and the crow is great, Jaqi

Creatively Lisa said...

You did such a nice job on this piece. I love the colors and the crow just pops right out. I'll have to try that sanding of cereal boxes. The effect is great.

Ellen said...

thats beautiful , lovely background colours so vibrant.

Christy said...

Hi Kimmie--

I hate crows too, but I love your crow art work. :O) You have motivated me to check out the beeswax.

Rosie said...

Great work Kimmie - I love the way the theme and the thinking goes through the whole piece! Never thought of crows as recyclers before either! Thanks for joining in our challenge.
Love
Rosie ABAA

Odd Chick said...

I use to not like crows- but they are growing on me and this little art piece is helping me like them even better!

Robin said...

This is beautiful! Your colors are fabulous!

GlitteryKatie said...

very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

One word - stunning.
But I also have to say - love the recyling bit and your writing about crows made me smile ....

Kris Dickinson said...

This piece is fantastic!

nikki said...

i love this piece..although im not into crows like yourself...this is a wonderfully crafted piece..i love that you used some green in your art also..im working on..or at least trying to..make an all green piece...a bit of a challenge but i love it..heh.
anyways...gorgeous work!

~*~Patty S said...

There you go again, turning trash into treasure Kimmie! Love this piece!

Rosie said...

I love the conne between cereal box card and the trashy crows - makes me smile! The isze of chickens you say? Goodness, that's big! I really like the scratchy background and your scribbly crow over the top - it's brilliantly effective.
Your Dad sounds like a real treasure... he must be a joy to visit!

Elizabeth said...

Crows are as big as dogs around here, or at least they seem that way. And something about the way they hop is really, really creepy. How creative are you to make something cool with their image?

Seth said...

Spectacular piece. Thanks for letting us know how it was made. And thanks too for your comments on my blog!

femminismo said...

Well, I like crows, but the part about eating the baby birds just might turn me against them. I didn't know they did that! But I really like what you've done with the image. And I enjoyed the Where the He** is Matt UTube video. I rarely watch all of them, but this was worth it. Especially the Indian dancers and the uplifted arms. Keep on making art, Kimmie. You do it so well. Jeanne in Oregon

Unknown said...

Thank you so much to everyone for leaving such thoughtful and encouraging comments! It means so much to me to get feedback!

*jean* said...

ooo i love your crow!! wonderful techniques you're using and I always admire your creativity in recycling = marvelous!!

jean

Jan said...

Great piece! After catching up with your blog, I went out to meet Tom, our paper guy, to save him one exit from the warmth of his car and a few steps of many he will have to make this cold Sunday morning. While outside, I heard some crows making a racket and found a McDonalds bag from an unknown donor making me smile, thinking of you. No, I didn't appreciate the trash, but you were a spoonful of sugar, especially as I also had to tend to the standard droppings not removed by irresponsible dog owners (my pet peeve ;))