Monday, January 19, 2009

Free to Dream















By way of celebrating the life of Dr. King, I made this page in my new art journal. I am inspired to have an art journal by several of my blogging friends (Bluebirds and OddChick mostly). 

In his famous "I Have a Dream" speech, Dr. King refers to "the old negro spiritual: Free at Last! Free at Last! Thank God Almighty we are Free at Last!" .... these are the words to that song .... which I used as the foundation for this page. I then painted the word Dreams over the words to the song and bordered it with different familiar phrases about dreams and dreaming. I used collage birds and ribbon tying it all together with the color blue. Blue is my favorite color, but a blue ribbon is also the symbol representing child abuse prevention (pink ribbon=breast cancer awareness; red ribbon= AIDS prevention; etc). Children are the biggest dreamers of all .... and all of our dreams really belong to them .... what is your dream?

2 comments:

*jean* said...

ooo this is simply beautiful...i can tell you put a lot of thought and consideration into it....

a wonderful tribute and happy inauguration day!

i can't wait to see what else you put in your art journal...by the way, your printing and handwriting are really lovely!!!

~*~Patty S said...

This page is just so moving and beautiful, Love how it looks and feels!