Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Subtle Gesso

Here is an atc showing the "before gesso" and "after gesso" (and other stuff). The original image was too bright for what I wanted. To tone it down, I applied a light coat of gesso which I then sanded lightly after it was dried. I adhered german foil trim on the left side (which I also sanded lightly). I stamped the text with Staz-on ink. Then, after masking off the text box, I used a glue stick to apply a small bit of adhesive around it's edges - which I next dusted with gold pearl powder. I drew rough lines with gel pens (gold and white) to further define the edges of the text box.

This is for a swap later on this month, but it also goes with today's challenge on Wednesday Stamper - "Gesso".

I especially love the text. It came as part of a larger set of mostly unmemorable stamps - except for this particular one which really speaks to me:

In the depth of winter
I finally learned that within me
there lay an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus


20 comments:

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Looks beautiful.

Hanne said...

It is so great using Gesso to change the colors of the image. The text is great!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Thank you for the before and after.

Femmy said...

gorgeous work!!!

Sandy said...

OMG this is simply stunning.
Fantastic.

~*~Patty S said...

Wonderful seeing the transformation Kimmie! Love hearing what all went into the piece too! It looks great, lovely quote too! I am such a quote hound :)

Faye said...

Both are beautiful, but I see how much more oomph! the second one has. Just beautiful how you used the gesso, Kimmie.

Shelly Hickox said...

This is fantastic Kimmie! Thanks so much for explaining the process. That is a great idea for toning down things are are too bright.

Astrid Maclean said...

Great ATC and lovely to see the before and after images, very lovely

http://truutske.blogspot.com said...

The are brilliant...great artwork.

Sija said...

Wonderful!!

Creatively Lisa said...

Wow! I love this piece. What a softness the gesso added to the colors. Wonderful job.

Buffy said...

I love the way gesso lightens the color. Beautiful piece.

Melanie said...

Oh this is gorgeous - I love the idea of the gluestick to add pearlex. Awesome!

Linda Vincent said...

Very inspiring Kimmie! I love the effect in the second one. The quote is just brilliant - I need to remember that one!
Love, Linda xxx

Anonymous said...

Love the before and after piccies. Beautiful ...

johanna said...

good idea to show the befora and after. and one of my favorite quotes!

keinname said...

Wonderful!!!

Manja said...

beautiful presentation, wonderful art work and nice sentiment

*jean* said...

I love how this turned out!! The gesso is the perfect thing for that card!! Wonderful!