Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a beeswax test (part 4)

I wanted to experiment with beeswax as an effective paper coating.
What better thing to try it out on than these paper beads?
I know there are a lot more possibilities out there - but I used what I have on hand.

(click on the images for a larger view)

this is a plain bead


this is a bead coated with "mod-podge" decoupage medium


this bead has diamond glaze on it


and this is the beeswax bead


Here are some of the differences: 
The mod-podge and the diamond glaze needed to be painted on. 
The beeswax bead was dipped.
The mod-podge and the beeswax dried quickly.
The diamond glaze took a couple of hours to dry.
The mod-podge bead will need more than 1 coat.
The beeswax bead needs to be buffed with a soft cloth.
The beeswax gave the paper a transparent effect.
The mod-podge and the diamond glaze did not.

***
I liked the beeswax best.
Here's a necklace I made with the paper beads and some wood beads from Africa that I already had in my bead stash:




Dipping a lot of beads was easy.
I strung them onto some wire and loosely coiled it up.
I dropped it in the hot beeswax and let it soak for about 3 minutes.
When I took it out, I carefully uncoiled the wire and hung it up to dry.
It was completely "set" in about 2 minutes and ready to buff with a cloth in about half an hour.
You have to wait a little while before buffing because the beeswax is so sticky at first.
That's it.

***
... next, I want to see what happens to different mediums treated with beeswax - like oil pastels, watercolors, collage, pen and ink, etc.

15 comments:

ELK said...

i am so enjoying these posts...looks like a summer project when I am out of school!!

Renee Howell said...

you go girl! Thanks for the "report!"

Terri Kahrs said...

After enlarging all of the pics, the beeswax wins as my favorite coating. Least favorite - the diamond glaze! Awesome toot, Kimmie, with fabulous pics to go along. Thanks! Hugs, Terri xoxo

ale said...

hola kimmie!!you are giving us a class!!!! a mega class!!!!!!how beautifull the necklace!!!and the paper beads all with beeswax!!!.... l am very impress with this tecnique...gracias kimmie,me encanta!!!

Eveline said...

Oohh, don't you just love making paper beads? I've started about two months ago and I just can't stop!

Unknown said...

Very cool! Love

McIrish Annie said...

really enjoying your experiments with beeswax. i especially liked the one with the photos. thanks for sharing!

Carola Zajdman said...

I´m going to try these experiments, The one with pictures is great too.
Love your blog !!

Chriss Rollins said...

fabtstic tute loving the beeswax beads will just have to have a go.

chriss x

Gaby Bee said...

Really cool. Thanks for sharing!
Your necklace is fabulous, Kimmie.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been making paper beads for some time now, experimenting with different coverings, too. I was planning a tutorial on my blog. You beat me to it. Now I MUST try the beeswax. It looks like so much fun. Thanks for the inspiration.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Beeswax rocks ... YES, dip more things in beeswax for use to see :)
Really Lovely necklace you created with your pretty beezie weezie beads!
oxo

Renee Howell said...

Kimmie - I've had such fun with the dipping beeswax. Finally getting around to posting some of my results. Planning to do some more dipping this weekend.

Unknown said...

Love your post thank you. May seem like a silly question but how do you buff the beads?

Unknown said...

Thanks Rebecca - I just rub them carefully with a soft rag