Wednesday, July 6, 2011

summer reading book list


after spending two hours yesterday dropping kids and their innertubes upriver and meeting them downriver ... three roundtrips and 30 minutes waits in the car each time, I was very happy to have a book to read! Here are the books you recommended last week. I thought it would be nice to have them in a tidy little list :)


Just started reading Game of Thrones by George R R Martin, I've not read a fantasy novel for absolutely ages. If you fancy a bit of crime I can't recomment Camilla Lackberg's novels highly enough, can't wait for the next one to be released (shabby chic shaz)

Love Garrison Keillor, my list includes, The No! Ladies Detective Agency series (taking me to Africa),Hollywood, by Gore Vidal,Water for Elephants,by Sara Gruen, Very Valentine by Adriana Trigani, and a new novel by one of our friend's Dave Kyger. (ooglebloops)

i'm still on the jodi piccoult...with cutting for stone next on my list (*jean*)

I heard the language of flowers by diffenbaugh is good (la dolce vita)

I have been reading a bit of The Artist Way (Becca)

I'm reading "oogy...the dog only a family could love" by Larry Levin. Non-fiction and heart-rending. (Judy)

Loved the "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo", et al. Awesome series! (Terri Kahrs)

While not funny, a good novel I finished not that long ago, long and juicy and some history is "The Tricking of Freya" by Christina Sunley. (corrine of dos fishes studio)

"Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" is a good summer read. It is full of Chinese culture. Also adding "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. (Dianne)

I just finished The Female. Fascinating reading for those of use who raised our girls in overalls and told our boys that it's alright to cry (suz)

I've been reading ALL of Jodi Picoult's books. I liked The Pact which was my most recent read. (Lynn)

The No1 Ladies Detective Agency is my favourite series and I'm just starting some more Alexander McCall Smith, 44 Scotland Street. (Jane)

7 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

:)Lots of 'good reads' listed here, Kimmie! I love spending hot summer days with my nose buried in a book and a nice, cold drink nearby! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I got confused as I headed out the door. For some reason, I thought this was a Tea repost, so I refreshed my blog. Glad to see all the books that have made people's lists. I'm glad you had a good book, too. It would have taken more than that to keep me in a car that long in this unrelenting Kansas heat even an AC has trouble keeping up with.

sukipoet said...

interesting selections. I still have a harback of The Tricking of Freya (I think) and can mail it to anyone who might want it. email me at sukipoet@gmail.com

what a good mom you are. sounds like such fun riding the river in inner tubes.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite the well rounded list, you will have to give reviews after you finish and let us know what your favorites were. xox Corrine

Lynn Cohen said...

Oh I thought YOU had read all those books until I saw my name and quote!!! Too funny. I wondered when you ever had any time to do anything else.

You sure do live in beautiful country!!!!!!!!

Page Turner's Hollow said...

I am with Dianne, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is wonderful! I am just now starting Garden Spells, which has already sucked me in. Also, give The Thirteenth Tale a try or The Eyre Affair. Both wonderful. My friend has also gotten me into the geeky world of comics, not the superhero types, but mysteries, steampunk, romance, etc. Quite enjoyable when you only have a few minutes.

Suz said...

Oh, dear! Mine was supposed to be 'The Female Brain."
I guess I lost mine!
Suz