Thursday, September 13, 2012

it's not a knitting blog ....

... but I wanted to share this sweet pattern I came up with
all on my own (almost)!

baby crown (newborn size)

my cousins had babies just weeks apart
(the littlest one below was premature)
but he's doing great and will be coming home soon

baby crown (preemie size)
I was knitting away on a baby hat pattern that halfway through was turning out really wonky and strange. Happily, when I turned it upside down it looked just like a crown. So this is really just an adaptation of a hat pattern.

For both crowns I used Lily "sugar and cream" cotton yarn
(medium weight)
and size 3 US double pointed needles (4 needles)


Instructions:
Cast on 73 stitches (preemie: 63 stitches) and divide between 3 needles
Rows 1-3: knit
Rows 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13: purl
Row 4: k2, *yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1; repeat from *, end k2 instead of k1
Row 6: k2, *k1, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k2; repeat from *, end k3 instead of k2
Row 8: k2, *k2, yo, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k3; repeat from *, end k4 instead of k3
Row 10: k2, *k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k4; repeat from *, end k5 instead of k4
Row 12: k2, *yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1; repeat from *, end k2 instead of k1
Row 14-17: k1, p1
Cast off


this knits up super quick
one of them I knit while we were on a road trip this summer (about 3 hours round trip)
and the other I knit while we were watching a movie
... like I said ...
super quick!

17 comments:

Dianne said...

Adorable! And the crowns are cute too!

Ms. said...

It's a BABY blog with a bit of knitting on the side! Congrats to the mommies and daddies of the new Queen and new premie king or Queen!

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome -- how I would have loved three crowns for my two princes and one princess!

Neesie said...

OH MY GOODNESS...sooooooooooo cute.
How clever of you...and those little precious people look so cosy now too. ;D

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love this beautiful baby crown!!! Lovely...I wish I could knit a bit better. Thanks, Mary Helen

sharon said...

OMG! I don't knit, and have been trying to avoid learning because I know it will be another addiction, but this might push me to the dark side Kimmie! WOW, they are beautiful and sooooo special! I am smitten, with the babies too!

Rita said...

Sweet babies and crowns. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't knit Kimmie, but gosh, all babies should have a crown! xox

Annie Cholewa said...

Beautiful babies, both of them. A prince and a princess, clearly ;D

*jean* said...

so darling...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How adorable. It's always good to make lemonade from lemons, and these turned into a crowning glory of lemonade.

Sorry I've missed visiting. I'm still fighting a computer virus that has kept me offline more than online. I hope you had a great weekend.

~*~Patty S said...

So very precious times two Kimmie!

Love how you made lemonade from possible lemons!

oxo

Kim Henkel Creations said...

What beauties those wee ones. Glad to hear all is well, and as for the crowns - adorable, and I too think every baby should have one.

Tracey FK said...

they are just too sweet... and so happy that little one will be home soon... the photo of the little princess and prince just warmed my heart... I love seeing little scrunched up baby faces...xx

Tammy said...

A little princess and prince. So sweet! Happy belated birthday to your youngest. My boys will be 17 and 14 next month. Yikes! Hope your week is good so far. Best wishes, Tammy

Zue said...

These are so adorable. Thank you for posting up the instructions:)
xx

Lauren said...

How fun! The crowns were happy outcome from what could have been cast aside. AND, ready for such sweet babies! I'm glad the littlest guy gets to come home soon.